Penn State IT Newsletter
In this issue:
Coffee and Conversation with Michael
Register for an upcoming session
As Michael Kubit, our new vice president for Information Technology and chief information officer, gets to know our organization, he's welcoming OVPIT staff members to join the conversation. In the coming months, Michael will be meeting with small groups of employees to hear your thoughts on what's working well, opportunities for improvement, and any advice you have for him.
Spots are filling up, but wait lists are available if a session is full. You should have received an email last week with details on how to register, but if you didn't, please contact email@example.com.
Share your good news with us!
OVPIT Climate & Diversity
Register for an integrity workshop session today!
Although integrity is one of Penn State’s core values, staff members may sometimes fall into unintentional ethical pitfalls. Two integrity workshops presented by OVPIT Climate and Diversity, taking place March 2 and 14, will help employees understand how lapses in judgment can happen and the importance of distinguishing values from priorities. Attendees will also learn about ethical challenges that may arise during a reorganization.
The sessions—titled "Values vs. Priorities in the Workplace: How do you decide the right thing to do?"—are being offered in person and online via Zoom. For more information and to register, visit the registration page.
IT Impact Awards
Nominate a colleague or team for an IT Impact Award
Please welcome these new hires!
Brittany Morton, IT manager in Services and Solutions (EI&O)
Jennifer McCauley, IT project manager in Engineering and Project Support (EI&O)
Five things to know about WorkLion
- All colleges, units, and departments will use Workday, with the exception of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Pennsylvania College of Technology.
- You'll be able to access Workday and other features through a new employee portal called WorkLion.
- You'll access Workday with Penn State’s single sign-on when it goes live in June.
- Access to information and tasks in Workday will be protected by strict security safeguards.
- Time and attendance will be linked in the new system, making it critical that time worked must be submitted and approved prior to payroll deadlines.
Professional development opportunities
Workplace Learning and Performance has a new lineup of programs taking place this spring. Topics include communication, project management, conflict management, creative thinking, leadership, team building, and more. The programs are offered at no cost to employees, and spaces fill quickly! Visit the full schedule for more information and to register.
Registration is open for levels one and two of the Supervision Series taking place this spring! Level one is for both new and experienced supervisors looking to refresh and update their skills, while level two is for experienced supervisors and builds on concepts from level one. For more information and to register, visit the Supervision Series website.
Don't forget to check out the online courses on the Learning Resource Network! You'll find more than 800 free courses available to Penn State faculty and staff. Learn at your pace—you can start a program and pick it up later right where you left off. Create a personal learning plan, track your progress, and earn certificates for the courses you complete. Visit the Learning Resource Network to learn more.
OVPIT You Rock! Award
Recognize a coworker for a job well done
OVPIT is filled with people who work hard everyday to make OVPIT and Penn State a better place to work. If you know of a special colleague or team that deserves recognition for a job well done, nominate them for the You Rock! Award—a special way to let someone know their hard work has been noticed and appreciated.
February’s recipients are:
- Kris Benefield, OVPIT Training Services
- Phil Swanzy, OVPIT EI&O
Congratulations and thanks for a job well done! Learn more about why they rock on the OVPIT Awards page. Nominations are always being accepted via the You Rock! Award nomination form and will be announced monthly.
Attend a Collab meeting
Connect with Us!
Keep up with what’s happening in OVPIT
There are several ways you can stay up to date with what’s going on in OVPIT!
- Follow the Penn State IT Twitter account for the latest news and information about IT-related research, events, and services.
- Visit the Plan-Build-Run website for the latest information about the transition to the Plan-Build-Run concept of IT operations.
- Join the OVPIT Yammer group for announcements, updates, training opportunities, and more.
- Visit the OVPIT staff site for information about upcoming events, staff awards, and the archives of this newsletter.
Produced by Penn State Information Technology, IT Communications.
The Pennsylvania State University © 2017, All rights reserved.
IT Communications, The Pennsylvania State University
Technology Support Building, University Park PA 16802